Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Walking around NYU

My new apartment is remarkably close to NYU. One morning my walk to work brought me this scene: "Watch the traffic! Whatch the traffic!!" The petite man yelled as the university students crossed. He ushered the cab through the intersection and stood back to look around. "Wait! " He stopped students and a professor behind him to check for cars, then let them cross. But the unusual thing was this: the "crossing guard" was self-appointed, and looked like a resident of the park. That's right, the homeless man is yelling at the cabbie and the startled freshmen. Just one example of how the city -and NYU- is special.
I feel like I can say this because I also happen to be an alum of NYU. Before applying, I spoke with a student there who wisely said, "It isn't like going to college; it's like living in the city and going to classes". This is in fact true. If you want to go to a college and have the typical college experience (football team anyone?), NYU is not the place. It's centered around Washington Square Park - a lovely city park to be sure... But it isn't exactly the college stadium in the movies. For all it's not, the thing I loved best about studying theatre in NY is that the professors are in the business, performing on Broadway or working in TV/ Film the same week they are showing up to teach. Their knowledge base is current and for the industry, it's vital.
And, of course, there are those special moments when a homeless man feels a sudden responsibility to orchestrate vehicular and foot traffic.
I heart NY.

No comments:

Post a Comment