Thursday, September 10, 2009

Pasta & People



The other night I was re-heating pasta. Pretty glamorous, I know. I'd heard that it's best to re-heat pasta by setting it in hot water, then draining it out, and repeating. As I was straining the water from the bowl with my hands (again, glamorous) I found myself successful! I normally lose a good bit of the pasta with the water down the drain. But this time I didn't! And I realized it was because I was focused on the pasta - I was supporting the pasta and it had my focus. The water, while I waited, had run off.

I began thinking about people in my life. From time to time I think about a co-worker, friend, grocery store worker (once in a while I do), and think "It's so clear to me their issue is 'x'..." If I go about trying to free them from 'x' and focusing on the problem I can lose the person in the process. If I can support the person, perhaps their issue with 'x' will be able to be dealt with - seemingly simply running off. And the person - is there in tact. And ready to mix it up with some pesto!

This is not to say that everything is okay. Often a timely loving word is the only right answer. But it's the focus that is important, the most important thing is that person and that person's walk with God. Problems come and go but souls are eternal.


No comments:

Post a Comment