Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Communicating

Without excuse or delay, and with apologies my Dear Reader, I'll simply pick up as old friends do, right where things are.*
And where things are, today, are at my kitchen table. As I go through the stack of mail I find the latest pamphlet from Dallas Theological Seminary. The article is entitled "Guarding our Sacred Trust" and more telling-ly sub-titled "10 Characteristics of a Biblical Communicator."

While all 10 Characteristics are worthwhile and thought-provoking, number 7 jumped out to me:
7
AVOID WRANGLING
"Seventh, biblical communicators avoid in quarreling in unnecessary arguments. I want to be careful with what I say here because I am not talking about defending the truth and engaging in dialogue and debate with those who would distort the truth. ....
We who are married know that that we can say something to our spouse that may may be true, but it may not be loving in the way we say it. Likewise in our theological discussions, let's make it a matter of prayer before we get involved in a particular discussion or dispute."**

Similarly, as I was volunteering at the Chinese Missions Conference at the end of December, lessons to the children aged 7 - 11 had components of Ephesians 4:29 and Ephesians 4:15 (see below). Words are powerful things and the balance of truth in love is one worth the lifetime pursuit.

Ephesians 4:29 (nkjv)
Let no corrupt word proceed out of your mouth, but what is good for necessary edification, that it may impart grace to the hearers.

Ephesians 4:15 (nkjv)
but, speaking the truth in love, may grow up in all things into Him who is the head—Christ

*In 2011 I'll "free" myself from the requirement of including "walking" in the title of each entry. And hopefully will blog more frequently!!
**from article by Dr Mark L Bailey

3 comments:

  1. However often you blog, it will be welcome, worthwhile and a joy to read. Thanks for your insights on talking. Words are very important and quickly can turn from sweet to sour, from true to false and from edifying to degrading. The study in Ephesians can help us keep our words in balance.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thought I'd communicate that it is nice to read an entry! I always enjoy your insight.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Susan & Dan for your encouraging words!

    ReplyDelete