Saturday, March 24, 2012

Running around New York City

This morning I started my day by making a (really obscenely long impossible-to-do-in-one-day) to do list, having a quiet time (daily devotional) and as I looked at my list and closed in prayer, I asked God to help me accomplish the things that He would want accomplished and, basically, not sweat the small stuff.

Because I'm signed up for a [and now will be words that I never thought I'd utter...] a half marathon, one of the items on my list today was a three mile run. I'm still new to the whole "running thing" and had never run outside before. But I was also craving nature and even spent 20 seconds thinking about how to finagle a visit to Central Park Zoo on my list to see animals. Turns out that God saw fit to bless my little desire to see animals and nature; the beautiful weather today meant that everybody in New York City who has a dog was out with their dog. Big dogs, small dogs, the dog who nearly took down his owner because he lunged for the squirrel, the shaggy brown dog who patiently let the little boy pet him and then some. Not to mention the beautiful spring time flowering trees, all on a backdrop that I've come to love.

It's been a pretty full month with a few trips (vacation and business), some big changes at work, starting a not-for-profit, training for the half marathon, and a loss in the family.
In light of everything, though, God's goodness and help are there when we ask and seek to do what we know is right.
Psalm 84:11

No comments:

Post a Comment