Saturday, November 14, 2009

Time Management Scissors

I'm on my own personal "just say 'no'" campaign, and using the time management scissors to cut out unnecessary events. Just checked facebook and had four invitations to four events and proceeded to respond with four "no's".
I hate doing it, but in reality if I say "yes" I'll be only partially there, distracted by all the other things that I'm not doing while I'm at one of four said events.
Recently I was interviewed as a candidate for an industry association award. (It's an honor just to be nominated.) The interviewer asked, "So, you mentioned you're involved with your church, and you are also on the board of the organization. Other than that and work, are you involved with anything else?" "Am I supposed to be?" I thought "No," I said, laughing, "all that - and family and friends - keeps me pretty busy! Well, and the swing dance class on Monday nights I'm a part of..."
Last week as part of our church retreat we discussed virtues; the small group I was a part of discussed the virtue of wisdom. We decided that wisdom is choosing the best thing, at the best time, and pursuing it in the best way. So for right now, as life seems to be heating up (busy at work, industry events, Bible studies, and of course swing dance) the best thing to start doing is scaling back on the "I love to's" and boil it down to the "I need to's" in the schedule. And pray that God will make the "I need to's" super fun while I stay focused and keep the time management scissors handy!

No comments:

Post a Comment