Thursday, July 30, 2009

Last day in China

Today is June 30 and my last day in China.
I'm writing from the airport, on my way to Korea (closely followed by Singapore, Paris & Dublin). And while I'm looking forward to the travel that lies ahead, I'm most touched today by the events of the past 5 weeks in China and sorry to have to leave. I wouldn't say that our daily life was easy, accommodations at the university dorms were simple, there is not much in the way of luxury in the place or food or surroundings. For example, construction down the hall on two dozen dorm rooms included the jackhammer on the concrete floors to make way for drains for bathrooms in each room. Construction was noisy, dusty, and daily from 6 am to 6 pm. Suffice it to say, it is not the construction I'll miss.
The thing that chokes me up each time I think about the fact that I'm leaving is the people. I've simply fallen in love with the warmhearts and the tender spirit that was so evident in the staff of the program and the students. One woman in particular is a strong follower of Jesus and I greatly admire her and her pursuit of Christ. Never before have I been so touched by an individual that I took a piece of jewelry off and offered it to her. Never before has a piece of jewelry, a ring I've been wearing for five years, had so little meaning when compared to my desire to give to her. Many of those I said goodbye to I will see again in heaven, and I'm so grateful. I hope - and pray! - I will see many again either in China or America or another place that God in His wisdom and creativitycould arrange! In the midst of the sadness of saying goodbye I am comforted that God has His children in His hand and nothing will separate those from His love.

Ok - enough deep & meaningful for one update. Here are some fun things that I'll miss...
Chinglish
From time to time words or sounds are adjusted a bit from what anative English speaker would say. We call that Chinglish. Please, a sample conversation in Chinglish.

Person A: Now, friend, here is some bitter melon. Very delicious. Please. [She puts the bitter melon on your plate]
Person B: Thank you, thank you very much [this sometimes sounds like 'Sank you, sank you wery much']
A: Some rice, you wanting?
B: Nooo, is not very delicious [not wery deliciours]. You know, in my hometown noodles are very delicious. Welcome to my hometown. [Ie'Please visit!]

Hand in hand
For some unknown reason, Chinese women are very affectionate with each other and will often walk along hand in hand or arm in arm. During training one of my teaching teammates walked up and held my hand. The New Yorker in me gave her a sharp glance.
"Um, hey. What's up?"
"I'm helping you," she smiled, "your students will do this to you.I'm de-sensitizing you. Does it make you uncomfortable?".
"Yep! Suredoes!".
Ultimately I got over myself and accepted it as a part of the culture, and in fact it's rather endearing, after the first few uncomfortable times.

Chopsticks
I'm going to miss chopsticks. I just really find them convenient. Maybe I'll start a trend back in America - chopsticks for all!

1 comment:

  1. One of my favorite moments in China was watching you and Laura H. walk hand in hand on the way to church. And chopsticks? We chose to eat with chopsticks on the plane home!

    I think our entire team can say that the people are what we will miss the most...and go back for again and again, if possible.

    I feel honored that God allowed us to share this summer in Beijing.

    ReplyDelete