Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Walking with Wisdom in Words

In a conversation this week I found myself unsure of how to react and respond to the person I was chatting with. Hours after the conversation ended that I realized why I was speechless. Given the context of our conversation there wasn't a way to address her concerns, nor was there anything I could do, nor was I the necessarily the best person given our relationship. ... she was venting.

Don't get me wrong, I'm sure that I've vented to friends, family, co-workers and folks I just sorta know. Not a great habit, and in general I try not to unload a dump truck of emotion without wanting (often needing!) advice to puzzle through a situation.

I'm blessed with a remarkable circle of friends, many from church, and I'm simply unused to being on the receiving end of venting. It's just not on the activities list. Not to say that we don't share frustrations or concerns. Of course, but more often than not we share with a desire to take a positive step or get input to make a change in attitude or action. The ancient Proverb is true ~ there is wisdom in knowing when ~ and what ~ and why ~ to share.

A fool vents all his feelings but
a wise man holds them back.
~Proverbs 29:11

No comments:

Post a Comment